The Regional Maritime University (RMU), Accra, Ghana invites prospective applicants to its PRE-SEA MARINE ENGINE MECHANIC (MEM) CUM RATING FORMING PART OF ENGINE ROOM WATCH (REW) Course for the 2021/2022 academic year beginning MARCH AND SEPTEMBER, 2022.
The newly introduced programme is a modification to the traditional Marine Engine Mechanic course in conformity with requirements by the Ghana Maritime Authority (GMA). The programme is divided into two phases. Phase one is pre-sea training for a duration of 18-Weeks at the Regional Maritime University (RMU) after which a Marine Mechanic Pre-Sea Training Certificate is issued by RMU. Phase two is a required two (2) months sea training after which candidates are issued with a Certificate of Proficiency called Rating Forming Part of Engine Room Watch (REW) and a Seaman’s Discharge Book, both issued by the Ghana Maritime Authority (GMA). In addition, Seafarers holding REW certificates who have gained additional six months seagoing experience may progress to become Able Seafarers (ABEs) and issued with an Able Seafarer Engine (ABE) Certificate by GMA. For certification to this level, candidates will undergo a refresher course.
Engine-room ratings assist Marine Engineers in operating, maintaining and repairing engines, machinery and other equipment on board merchant ships. Thus, the two levels of education, training and certification for such personnel, namely:
- Ratings Forming Part of an Engine-Room Watch (REW, and
- Able Seafarer-Engine (ABE)
These are based on the STCW Regulation III/4 for REW, and III/5 for ABE, and are certification for work on ships powered by main propulsion machinery of 750 kW or more.
DURATION – 18 Weeks in the first instance
COST – US$500.00 (Five Hundred United States Dollars)
AGE LIMIT – Candidates must not be less than 18 years old.
BENEFITS TO YOU
- Qualify to be issued Proficiency Certificates by RMU and GMA;
- Holders of REW certificates have careers as Motormen/Marine Engine Mechanics on board ships, offshore vessels or ashore;
- Persons with ABE certificates could also work as a Donkeymen;
- Graduates would be able to join foreign shipping companies as general purpose ratings and Engine Crew;
- Earn salaries ranging from US$350 to US$600 as Wiper in the Engine Department onboard vessels;
- Opportunity to get upgraded to Engine Cadet on GMA approved upgrader routes in the Engine Department onboard vessels with salaries ranging from US$1.600 to US$2,000.
WHAT IS COVERED?
- General Ship Knowledge
- Marine Plant Operation and Maintenance
- Marine Power Plants
- Workshop Practice
- Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental Studies
- Marine Electrical Practice
- Simulator Training
Holders of the following qualifications can apply:
Under-graduate degree; WASSCE, GCE ‘O’ Level or equivalent Technical Certificate and HND; JHS/SHS; Middle School Leaving Certificate or Basic Education certificates.
To Apply and for enquiries please contact:
+233 302 718225 / +233 302 714070 / +233 302 712775 ; WhatsApp: +233 20500 33 66
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com