The Regional Maritime University, Accra, Ghana invites prospective applicants to its PRE-SEA VOCATIONAL DECK RATING (ABLE SEAFARER – DECK) Programme for the 2022/2023 academic year beginning MONDAY 14TH FEBRUARY, 2022.
ABOUT THE PROGRAMME
Primary responsibilities of an Able Seafarer -Deck include standing watch as helmsman and lookout, maintaining a steady course, using emergency, lifesaving, damage control and safety equipment, navigating ship and maintaining visual communication with other ship and giving direction to crew etc.
Thus, the Pre-Sea Vocational Deck Rating programme aims to train prospective students to upgrade their level of knowledge to meet requirements of the 2010 STCW Convention and Code as Able Seafarer – Deck, for merchant navy deck hands career on board seagoing vessels as well as equip students for marine related fields ashore.
WHAT IS COVERED?
- Basic Ship Handling & Watchkeeping;
- Cargo Handling & Stowage
- Shipboard Maintenance & Repair
- Basic Engineering & Machinery
DURATION – Eight (8) Weeks
COST – US$350.00 (Three Hundred and Fifty US Dollars)
BENEFITS TO YOU
- You will acquire theoretical and practical knowledge and skills of seamanship and be professionally recognized as an Able Seafarer Deck Rating;
- Study comes with industrial and practical field trips;
- You will meet requirements of the International Convention on STCW 2010, Table A-II/4 and II/5;
- You will meet requirements for issue of a Seaman’s Discharge Book by the Ghana Maritime Authority;
- You will be equipped to keep bridge navigational watch;
- You will demonstrate use of cargo handling gears, equipment access arrangements, surface preparation & painting techniques and maintenance of hand and power tools;
- Graduates will be equipped to aspire to navigational deck hand positions onboard merchant ships, offshore Oil & Gas industry and shore-based maritime transport facilities and allied industries.
Middle School Leaving Certificate or Basic Education (JHS/JSS), Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination (SSCE), WASSCE, GCE ‘O’ Level or equivalent Technical Certificate and HND.
For enquiries please contact:
+233 302 718225 / +233 302 714070 / +233 302 712775 ; WhatsApp: +233 20500 33 66