MOU BETWEEN WOMEN IN MARITIME IN AFRICA
(WIMAFRICA) AND THE AFRICAN UNION COMMISSION
Recognizing the need to develop a common institution of co-operationn and a continental platform for all African women in the maritime sector and the call by the African Union for the promotion of women empowerment, a part of Agenda 2063 and the Africa Integrated Maritime Strategy 2050, as well as the indispensable participation of women to the progress of the African Continent and the need for Gender Equality, A MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING was signed BETWEEN WIMAFRICA and THE AFRICAN UNION COMMISSION.
Some of the objectives of this MOU are as follows:
- To include maritime sector in the African Union Gender Affairs;
- To provide for an appropriate framework which enables the parties to promote co-operation and collaboration between national, regional and international organizations to advance gender equality in the maritime sector;
- To provide for a suitable structure for the advancement of women in the maritime sector in Africa and thereby strengthen the maritime capacity on the continent for the promotion of safe, secure and efficient shipping on cleaner oceans.
Representing the Regional Maritime University for this all-important occasion held in Addis Ababa was a Senior Lecturer and former Head of the Maritime Safety Department, Capt. Hannah Aggrey. She happens to be the first woman to read Maritime Education at the World Maritime University (WMU, 2000). She is also an Executive, Founding Member and Regional Co-ordinator for WIMAFIC, Ghana.
With this MOU in place, necessary facilities shall be made available for the promotion of human capacity development, enterprise development and employment of women in all facets of the maritime sector. Moreover, the appropriate channels would be set up to mainstream women’s participation in all aspects of the blue economy, including policy, advocacy and maritime awareness.
Information Date: 23/09/16
Information Source: Marketing Unit, Regional Maritime University, Accra
More Recent News
- 28-Mar CEO, BERNARD SCHULTE MANAGEMENT VISITS RMU
- 19-Dec GRADUATION OF Y.E.A. AND RMU YOUTH IN MARINE ENGINEERING
- 07-Nov MOU BETWEEN WOMEN IN MARITIME IN AFRICA (WIMAFRICA) AND THE AFRICAN UNION COMMISSION
- 26-Oct Appointments: Pro-Vice Chancellor, Director of Finance and Dean of Maritime Studies
- 19-Oct LAUNCH OF YOUTH IN MARINE ENGINEERING TECHNICIAN MODULE BY H.E JOHN DRAMANI MAHAMA
- 07-Oct FUNERAL ANNOUNCMENT
- 07-Oct FIRST BATCH ADMISSION LIST 2016/2017
- 05-Oct ORIENTATION OF FRESHERS - 2016/2017 ACADEMIC YEAR
- 05-Aug REGIONAL MARITIME UNIVERSITY IPSEA ASSESSMENT TRAINING WORKSHOP – 21ST TO 22ND JULY, 2016
- 05-Aug REGIONAL MARITIME UNIVERSITY IPSEA TRAIN THE TRAINER: PORT PERFORMANCE
- CEO, BERNARD SCHULTE MANAGEMENT VISITS RMU28 - Mar
- GRADUATION OF Y.E.A. AND RMU YOUTH IN MARINE ENGINEERING19 - Dec
- MOU BETWEEN WOMEN IN MARITIME IN AFRICA (WIMAFRICA) AND THE AFRICAN UNION COMMISSION07 - Nov
- Appointments: Pro-Vice Chancellor, Director of Finance and Dean of Maritime Studies26 - Oct
- LAUNCH OF YOUTH IN MARINE ENGINEERING TECHNICIAN MODULE BY H.E JOHN DRAMANI MAHAMA19 - Oct